Grants to realize big ideas for agriculture from young innovators
Applications are now open for the Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, a competitive annual grants program recognising and supporting young Australians aged 18-35 by funding projects that will benefit Australia’s primary industries.
Senator the Hon. Bridget McKenzie, Minister for Agriculture, launched the 2020 Awards – read more.
The Science Awards encourage young scientists, researchers, innovators and others active in the agriculture sector who have an original and innovative project that will contribute to the ongoing success and sustainability of Australia’s agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries. The Science Awards have already helped 250 young Australians make their ideas a reality and showcase their talent to the world.
There are eleven industry Science Award categories open for applications: biosecurity and digital innovation; cotton; eggs and poultry (layers); fisheries and aquaculture; forest and wood products; grains; meat and livestock; pork; red meat processing; viticulture and oenology; and wool. Each category includes a $22,000 grant, and is generously supported by the research and development corporations and industry organisations as our Science Award partners.
Winners of the industry category Science Awards are then invited to apply for the Minister for Agriculture’s Award, which provides additional funding for an extended research project.
Since 2011, the Science and Innovation Awards have helped more than 250 young researchers, innovators and scientists turn their ideas into reality through more than $4 million in grant funding. We invite you to put your hand up and be part of something big.
Are you eligible?
- Are you working on studying in an agriculture, fisheries or forestry related industry?
- Are you aged between 18 and 35?
- Do you have an original research project idea and need $22,000 to make it a reality?
There are 11 industry category grants worth up to $22,000 (incl. GST) each.
Interested? Here’s what to do next:
- Go to GrantConnect and search for GO2850 for more info and the application form.
- Check out the handy questions and answers for applicants.
- Read the Science Awards partner profiles to learn more about what they are looking for.
- Discover what projects were successful in the previous rounds.
Applications close Friday 4 October 2019
Benefits of being a 2020 Science and Innovation Awards winner
- Receive a grant of up to $22,000 (incl. GST) to carry out your exciting project over a 12 month period.
- Join an esteemed group of previous Award winners and advance your career in research, science and innovation.
- Meet your Award sponsor, other award winners and industry representatives at the ABARES Outlook 2020 conference in 2020.
- The winners in each category will also be invited to apply for the Minister of Agriculture’s Award, recognising one outstanding extension research project and granting an additional $22,000!
2020 Science Award partners
We thank our partners for their support and commitment to the 2020 Science Awards and for fostering young innovators focused on the agriculture sector. Find out more about each organisation and their research priorities to help you in your application.
- Australian Eggs
- Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- Australian Pork Limited
- Australian Wool Innovation
- Cotton Research and Development Corporation
- CSIRO Biosecurity digital innovation
- Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
- Forest & Wood Products Australia
- Grains Research and Development Corporation
- Meat & Livestock Australia
- Wine Australia