ACS Australia’s Digital Pulse is an annual stocktake of Australia’s digital economy and workforce. This is the 5th edition of this report prepared by Deloitte Access Economics for the ACS and the series provides a detailed examination of digital workforce trends, aimed at informing public debate about this important area of our economy.
This year the report focusses on detailed analysis of the Australian and global tech and business sector to explore the highest policy priority for the digital economy – skills development, investment in new technologies and the opportunities and risks, Australia’s startup landscape and our international competitiveness, growing Australia’s smart cities and attracting more investment to Australia.
Exciting findings from ACS’ Australia’s Digital Pulse 2019 include:
- Australian 6-year demand for tech workers to grow by 100,000 with the tech workforce growing to 792,000 workers;
- Analysis of the Australian start-up landscape, international tax comparisons and policy levers for international competitiveness;
- 50% growth in IT degree enrolments over the last decade;
- More broadly, the contribution of digital to GDP is expected to grow 40% between 2018 and 2023, with that powered by mobile technology reaching $65 billion by 2023. That translates into the equivalent of an extra $2,500 for every person in Australia every year;
- If we can use smart city solutions to keep Australia to a low-congestion scenario between now and 2030, the total benefits due to improved travel times could be the equivalent of almost $10 billion. Implementing technology solutions across all industries in the Australian economy is required to ensure that everyone can benefit from the welfare gains associated with digital advancement; and
- Northern Territory’s ICT workforce will have a 2.5% average annual growth rate with management and operational and technical and professional roles leading this growth.
Join Yohan Ramasundara, President – ACS, Andrew Johnson, Chief Executive Officer – ACS and The Hon Lauren Moss MLA, Minister for Corporate and Information Services; Minister for Tourism, Sport and Culture – Northern Territory Government who will officially launch the ACS Australia’s Digital Pulse 2019 report and share key highlights from the report for the Northern Territory.