International Space Investment – Expand Capability will support Australian businesses and research organisations to become involved with international space agencies or established international space programs.
The objectives of the program are to:
- unlock international space opportunities for the Australian space sector
- expand the capability and capacity of the Australian space sector, and support job creation
- demonstrate the Australian space sector’s ability to successfully deliver space-related products and services internationally
- support projects which contribute to building a vision and an Australian space sector that inspires businesses, the Australian community and the next generation of space workforce, researchers and entrepreneurs.
The minimum grant amount is $100,000.
The maximum grant amount is $4 million.
To be eligible you must be either:
- a company, incorporated in Australia
- a publically funded research institution (PFRO) as defined in the guidelines
For more information on eligibility please refer to the grant opportunity guidelines.
To be competitive you must score highly against all of the assessment criteria.
- Assessment criterion 1: The benefit of your project to the Australian space industry (40 points)
- Assessment criterion 2: Capacity, capability and resources to deliver the project (30 points)
- Assessment criterion 3: Impact of the grant funding on your project (30 points)
How to apply
You should read the grant opportunity guidelines and sample grant agreement before you apply. Grant opportunity guidelines provide detailed information on the grant opportunity, including granting activity objectives; all eligibility and assessment criteria; the assessment processes; reporting and acquittal requirements; and a description of review mechanisms.
To apply, you must submit your application through the online portal. You will need to set up an account when you first log into the portal. The portal allows you to apply for and manage a grant or service in a secure online environment..
For assistance with the application form, contact us.
How we assess applications
We assess your application against the eligibility criteria and then against the assessment criteria. Only eligible applications will proceed to the assessment stage. We refer your application to an assessment committee, comprised of space sector and industry experts to assess applications. The committee may also seek additional advice from independent technical experts.
The committee will assess your application against the assessment criteria and compare it to other eligible applications in a funding round before recommending which projects to fund.
The amount of detail and supporting evidence you provide in your application should be relative to the project size, complexity and grant amount requested. You should define, quantify and provide evidence to support your answers.
The Head of the Australian Space Agency will make the final decision.
If your application is successful
If your application is successful, you will receive a written offer. If you are unsuccessful, we will notify you in writing and give you the chance to discuss the outcome with us.
Successful applicants must enter into a grant agreement with the Commonwealth. The grant agreement will specify the reporting requirements, payment schedule and milestones necessary to receive payments.
We will make payments according to an agreed schedule set out in your grant agreement. Payments are subject to satisfactory progress on the project.
Payments will be made by direct credit into a nominated bank account.
- Grant opportunity guidelines Grant opportunity guidelines – PDF | 752.34 KB Policy and Administrative Guidelines – DOCX | 464.7 KB
- Sample grant agreement Sample grant agreement – PDF | 415.65 KB Sample grant agreement – DOCX | 144.85 KB
- Application form questions Application form questions – PDF | 91.03 KB Application form questions – DOCX | 102.91 KB
- Frequently asked questions Frequently asked questions – PDF | 239.91 KB Frequently asked questions – DOCX | 169.91 KB
- Project plan Project plan – PDF | 77.89 KB Project plan – DOCX | 50.14 KB
- Budget template Budget template – XLSX | 90.98 KB